Butter and Cheese Exchange of New York
The Butter and Cheese Exchange of New York was the original name of what later became the New York Mercantile Exchange. It opened in 1872 as a primarily cash market for butter and cheese. In 1875 it changed its name to the American Exchange of New York. Eggs were added to its list of produce, and it became the Butter, Cheese and Egg Exchange of New York in 1880. In 1882 its name was changed to the New York Mercantile Exchange.
- Jerry W. Markham (2001) A Financial History of the United States, M.E. Sharpe. ISBN 978-0765607300